Saturday, March 30, 2013

What to do With Holy Saturday


Luke 23:50-56

I’m never quite sure what to do with Saturday on Holy week.  It’s always the same.  I’ve come off a very power Good Friday service the night before that has left me pondering Christ’s passion and death.  And now it’s Saturday and the waiting begins.  It’s nice knowing what’s coming.  For me and I suspect like many of you there is great anticipation in Holy Saturday.  We have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight knowing the good news of Christ’s resurrection.  Joseph of Arimathaea and the women who had followed Jesus didn’t know what was coming.  So they were left to do what they thought was the right thing as a way to honor Jesus in His death.  N.T. Wright poses a possible dialogue between Joseph and his wife.

Joseph’s Wife:  Come back into the house, it’s nearly Sabbath.
Joseph:  But someone has to do it.
J.W.:  Do what?  Are you crazy?  You’ll get yourself killed.  Anyway the body will get eaten by dogs before you know it.
Joseph:  Exactly, that’s why someone needs to bury it.
J.W.:  But where?
Joseph:  In our tomb of course.
J.W.:  Our tomb?  But that’s meant for you and me!
Joseph:  Not now it isn’t.  And anyway, I’d rather we shared it with Him.

And off he goes to do the right thing.  We don’t know a lot about this Joseph of Arimathaea, except that it says he was a good and righteous man.  I’m wondering what good and righteous thing I might do today in anticipation of my Savior’s resurrection.  In many ways it will be a typical Saturday.  I’ll do a little work in the yard, help get things cleaned up for all our company tomorrow, and coach my daughter’s soccer game.  In the midst of that and whatever else the anticipation will continue to build.  As we all anticipate let’s be mindful of how we can share with others why we’re so excited about tomorrow.  That seems like a good and righteous thing to do.

Prayer
Dear Lord Jesus, I’m thankful that I know what’s coming.  Sunday’s coming!  Easter Sunday!  May my anticipation be known to all.  Amen.

* Just a reminder, that unlike previous Sundays there will be a devotional tomorrow for Easter Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment