Thursday, March 28, 2013

Rejoicing in Christ's Body and Blood


Luke 22:14-38

Today is Maundy Thursday.  Next to Easter it might be my favorite day of Holy Week.  It commemorates the last supper of Jesus Christ with His disciples that we read about in our scripture passage.  I enjoy it so much because of the tradition we’ve started at our church.  We have a simple soup and bread meal and after the meal we read some of the scripture passages leading up through the last supper and then we share in communion as a church family.  It’s a very meaningful time, and I love having all our families gathered around the tables taking communion together in such an intimate setting.

Sometimes communion can become more of a rote ritual, and that’s the last thing it should ever be.  When Jesus takes the bread and says “this is my body given for you”, and He takes the cup and says “this cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood” these are powerful life changing statements.  When Jesus says “new covenant in my blood” He’s saying it’s no longer about the old covenant; as in the one God made with His people, the one that involved animal sacrifice for one’s sins.  Under that Covenant the sacrifice was said to cover our sin, Jesus’ death on the other hand removes our sins all together.  There is no more need to sacrifice animals because Jesus is our forever sacrifice.  There is great freedom in this new covenant of Christ.  There is also great joy in knowing His sacrifice has removed our sins. 

I encourage you to find a new way to take communion today.  Maybe your church also does something like mine, but if not there’s nothing in the Bible that says you have to take communion from a priest or a Pastor.  Maybe you could even do something around your dinner table with the family.  Whatever you do, take the time today to be thankful His body was broken for you and His blood was shed for you.

Prayer
Dear Lord Jesus I thank you for Your New Covenant.  I’m thankful for your shed blood.  Help me to always remember Your sacrifice as I live my life in joyful thankfulness to You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment