Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Our Fortune in Christ


Luke 23:2-25

I’ve always found it interesting how much Jesus gets bounced around in His final hour; first the council and then Pilate, and then Herod, and then Pilate again.  By hook or by crook this mob was determined to see Jesus crucified; so much so that they were willing to release a murderer in His place.  There was a custom of releasing a prisoner at the time of Passover so you would think it might make sense to let Jesus go.  You know, the guy who was performing miracles, healing the lame, raising the dead, loving on others, and preaching and teaching a new message and a new way with great authority.  It makes perfect sense that Jesus should be the one who gets released at this point.  Unfortunately this mob was not about making sense.  They were more about protecting their own interests and power structures.  As I write I’m realizing my use of the word “unfortunately” was perhaps not the best choice of words.  I say unfortunately thinking of the pain, suffering, and shame, he’s about to go through, but it’s quite fortunate for us that He did.

I wonder if Barabbas ever came to realize just how fortunate he was.  He might have escaped death that time, but it’s still coming.  If Jesus died for the sins of all mankind then He died for the sins of Barabbas too.  I hope for his sake somewhere along the way Barabbas realizes that not only did Jesus save his life in that moment, but that Jesus is also the one who can save his life for all eternity.

Prayer
Dear Lord Jesus, because of the unfortunate circumstances of Your death I am most certainly fortunate today.  I’m thankful that in Your divine will and sovereignty they released Barabbas and not You.  You loved me that much Lord Jesus, and I’m forever thankful for such great fortune.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment