Thursday, March 7, 2013

4 Square and Freedom in Christ


Luke 11:29-53

I love the game of 4 Square.  Just ask any of my former youth groupers.  It can be fast paced and extremely competitive for those of us who really get into it.  For those who don’t know how it works, there are 4 squares and one person is in each square.  You hit a playground ball into an opponent’s square and they in turn have to hit it into another person’s square.  If your hit doesn’t land in a square, or you can’t play the ball hit into your square then you’re out.  The object is to get to the 4th square (having started at the 1 square) at which point you get to serve the ball.  It’s probably not that popular among current day gym teachers because it could damage a child’s self-esteem having to get out.  For the rest of us living in the real world it’s a blast. 

Occasionally though there have been times when I haven’t liked the game.  That’s when kids start using school yard rules.  As in the 4 square server gets to make up rules for as long as he’s in the 4 square.  There are all kinds of crazy added rules.  Spikes, double taps, triple taps, cherry bombs, bus stops, spins, and body shots to name a few.  What’s really happening when the server in the 4 square calls out any of these rules is he’s simply saying, these are the ways we will be allowed to cheat when I’m in the 4 square.  And the server would have a distinct advantage being the one who gets to be the first one to cheat, and in so doing probably get someone out.  It’s a way to artificially prolong your time in the 4 square.  When this would happen in the games I would be involved in, I would get to the 4 square and call out “pure old fashioned 4 square.”  In other words I was saying, there will be none of those silly rules that help anyone cheat.

By now I’m sure you’re wondering what all this talk about 4 square has to do with today’s reading.  Well I’m glad you asked.  When I think of the Pharisees and the lawyers (scribes or experts in the law) in verses 37 to 53, I think of the kids in the 4 square who liked to add on their school yard rules.  The Pharisees and the lawyers were notorious for taking an existing biblical law and adding new laws on top of it to try and keep people as far away from breaking that law as possible.  In the long run it would become more burdensome than helpful.  Jesus is well known for calling these people hypocrites and white washed tombs because they didn’t always follow the rules they made themselves.  And their concern was often much more about being seen as prestigious and having power than it ever was about helping people get closer to God.  It’s almost like they wanted to see people mess up their rules just so they could call them “out.”  I’m thankful for a Savior in Jesus Christ who isn’t about rule following.  He’s just about following; as in following Him.  And when we do it’s not burdensome at all.  Actually it’s freeing and liberating.  It was Jesus who said “my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  This doesn’t mean everything will always be perfect.  We will still have times of trial, but it’s good to know we have a God who is with us, who sustains us, and who gives us wisdom, strength, and endurance to get through those times, and who in the end works out all things for good for those who love Him.  Having an intense good old fashioned game of 4 Square can be a lot of fun.  Living in the freedom of following Christ and not a bunch of rules, is even better.

Prayer
Lord Jesus I know rote religious practices are not what you want from me.  You just want all of me.  Lord Jesus help me to give my whole life to you, and in turn enjoy the freedom that comes with living for You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment