Monday, March 4, 2013

Alaska Ho!


Luke 9:37-62

When I read the section about the cost of following Jesus today (vs. 57-62), I couldn’t help but think of an old youth group friend of mine by the name of Ken Howell.  Kenny (as we called him back in the day) was always an adventurer.  He used to run road races in his military gear and boots, and he would hide a long log a mile before the finish line the night before so he and his friend could finish the race carrying it on their shoulders.  He also used to try and convince me to have fake fights in public places; anything for a little adrenaline rush and to get a rise out of other people.  A little immature I realize, but hey we were young. 

I guess it’s that same kind of free spirit mentality that caused him to decide with his wife one day that it was time to up and move to Alaska.  With no jobs waiting for them they took the plunge and moved. You might hear that and think he’s a little crazy (okay maybe he was in some ways), but Kenny always seemed to have a clear sense of God’s call on his life.  He was never one to worry about the cost of following Jesus.  I think for a while they were without a place to lay their head in the traditional sense of having a home; kind of like Jesus.  It wasn’t that big of a deal for an outdoorsy wilderness enthusiast like Kenny though.  He was just as at home in a tent in the mountains as he was with a roof over his head in suburbia. 

Jesus has some pretty tough words for those who were asking about following Him.  It’s not that you can’t have love and commitment for your family, but His point is that He has to take first priority.  For some of you that may mean doing exactly what you’re doing now; working your job, living where you live, and serving God right where you’re at.  But if you’re truly following Jesus than you need to be open to the possibility that God has something different in store for you.  Maybe even something radically different.  I have plenty of friends in the mission field who get what I’m talking about.  I have no doubt that Kenny is exactly where God has called Him.  He’s a Godly husband and father serving the Lord and His church.  I love having his wife as a Facebook friend (not surprisingly Kenny has yet to join the social media craze) because I get to hear about hunting bear and Caribou, and trapping, and camping in the middle of the mountains, etc. etc. etc.  It’s a refreshing change from all the drivel we carry on about in the lower 48.  So what’s your “Alaska?”  The key to finding out is making sure you keep following Jesus as your first priority.  So put your hand to the plow, don’t look back, and keep living for God and His Kingdom.

Prayer
Dear Lord, help to me always count the cost of following You.  I thank you that in the end there is nothing more worthwhile.  Lord, remove my fear and doubts and allow me to plow ahead for Your Kingdom.  Amen.       

2 comments:

  1. Kenney's adventurous life style has been an inspiration. Thank you for writing and always pushing forward. . .Christ asks much of us. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to comment Tammy. I was hoping some of my buddies from back in the day would catch this one.

    ReplyDelete