Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Ask, Seek, and Knock


Luke 11:1-28

Today I’m focusing on verses 5 through 12 and what it means to ask, seek, and knock.  I love the illustration Jesus uses about a friend.  Think for a moment about your closest friend.  For some that may actually be a brother or a sister, or for others it’s just your bff (can’t believe I just used that expression).  Anyway, it’s nice to have someone you can count on; someone who you know has your back.  That’s what friends do.  In a pinch they’ll watch your kids, or give you a ride somewhere, or be with you through a difficult time.  And they know you would do the exact same thing.  Jesus asks the question how much more does the Heavenly Father give to those who ask Him.  I love that!  This is one of those verses that some have confused with what is sometimes called the “health and wealth” gospel, which kind of teaches the more you follow after God the more He will bless you with good things.  This viewpoint represents a very poor interpretation of scripture.  In today’s text God giving the Holy Spirit is what’s specifically referred to.  So what we receive is all the wonderful things that come from having the Holy Spirit in our lives; things like wisdom, and guidance, and spiritual gifts.  So stop praying for that new Beamer, a nice house, or to win the lottery.  That’s not how it works.  Maybe God has called you to be a missionary to a third world country, or a school teacher for a small private Christian school.  Not a whole lot of health and wealth in those vocations, but if that’s where God has called, than that’s where His fulfillment will be for you.  So go ahead, ask, seek, and knock, but don’t do it in anticipation of what you want, do it in anticipation of what God knows you need.

Prayer
Dear Heavenly Father I thank you that you love me, and you have lavished your gifts on me.  Gifts like your steadfast love, amazing grace, and peace that passes all understanding.  I thank you that you know exactly what I need.  Help me to always find my contentment in You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment