Tuesday, February 19, 2013

What then shall we do?


Read Luke 3

In today’s passage we see John the Baptist preparing the way for Jesus calling people to repentance and forgiveness of sins.  It would seem there was quite a crowd there, but not all of them were truly interested in things like repentance.  Some of the people there were pretenders.  They were curious and wondering what all the hubbub was about.  Those pretenders were the religious leaders of the day.  The same people Jesus would go a few rounds with throughout His ministry.  Jesus would also refer to these people as “brood of vipers.”  In case you are wondering, that’s not a compliment.  Some would translate it as seed of Satan. 

Those who were really there seeking forgiveness and desiring to repent on the other hand, John had no problem with.  But once they were baptized it seems like they were not entirely sure what to do.  They knew something was different, but they just needed a little direction.  And so they sincerely ask the question “what then shall we do?”  And John goes on to give them some very specific instructions; instructions to the crowd as a whole, and also specific instructions to two other groups of people; tax collectors and soldiers.  Both of these groups of people were known for being unfair and extorting people out of their money and goods.  So John essentially tells them to stop it!  The general theme of his instructions is to stop being greedy and to start caring for others.  Pretty simple really, and yet many of us still fail at following through on these instructions today. 

I’ll conclude with a few words on John’s final instructions for his soldiers.  He told them to be content with their wages.  When you think about it, that’s something we as Americans are not very good at.  Our mentality seems to be more of a “get all you can while you can” mentality.  I’m not saying that it’s wrong to ask your boss for a raise, or to be paid a fair going rate for the work we do.  I guess I’m just saying that whether we get that raise or not we do need to maintain a level of contentment, being thankful for a roof over our heads, cars that get us from point A to point B, warm homes in the winter, education for our kids, etc.  God really is good, and by the worlds standards we are richly blessed.  Want to hear something funny?  Just before I started working on this post I was looking at a Pastoral compensation chart on line.  Nice timing huh.  I pastor a church on the smaller side, and they do a good job of taking care of me, and as we grow I know they will continue to.  I need to remember that and remember to be content in all things.  God is good!

Prayer
Gracious Heavenly Father I thank you for your goodness to me and for all of Your bountiful provisions.  I’m thankful most of all that you have redeemed me and forgiven me of my sins.  Lord, through your grace you saved me; now in following John the Baptist’s instructions to the crowd, help me to act like it.  Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment