Thursday, February 28, 2013

Press in on Jesus


Read Luke 8:40-56

Today’s passage has always fascinated me.  I can remember in one of my seminary classes we got in a discussion regarding Jesus’ divinity and humanity.  The specific issue of contention was whether Jesus really knew who touched the hem of His garment or not.  Almost everyone thought Jesus really knew but He just asked so he could point out the women’s faith.  I decided to be the contrarian in the group.  I don’t suppose we’ll ever know for sure, but I say why not take the passage at face value?  As part of being fully human he may not have known who it was.  And generally when Jesus did miraculous things it had more of a purpose, like healing people, casting out demons, and as we’ve read raising people from the dead; not silly mind games figuring out who touched Him.  Come to think of it, we see both His divinity and His humanity in the instant this woman touches his garment; his humanity in having to ask the question (if you choose to interpret it that way), and his divinity in the power going out from Him. Not that it matters all that much, but feel free to post your opinion in the comments if you have one.

Let’s look at this story a little bit more from the perspective of the woman.  She had discharges of blood taking place for 12 years, and no one could help her.  I’m sure like many in the crowd she was desperate for healing.  Jesus’ reputation was starting to spread and she had hope and faith the He could heal her.  It was that faith and hope that drove her through the crowd no doubt touching many others along the way and making them unclean according to Jewish law.  Do you think Jesus cared even for a moment that her touching Him would make Him unclean?  I say not at all.  I think he was only too happy for His power to go out and heal her.  It’s not like he asked who touched him so He could scold that person, He asked who touched Him so He could commend that person for their faith.  When we think about our own sinful state we are a lot like that unclean woman.  We come to Him pushing up against Him with our messed up and muddied lives.  But we can do this in faith knowing that He doesn’t turn us away, and He doesn’t condemn us, but He makes us new and transforms us and brings us healing.  Praise be to God!

Prayer
Dear Heavenly Father I thank you that through Your Son Jesus Christ you are approachable.  I can come to You and You accept me with all my faults and you transform me and renew me through your divine power.  Help me to always trust in You for Your healing and life changing power.

No comments:

Post a Comment