Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Celebrate Life


Luke 7:18-50
There are some great stories in today’s text.  I love how Jesus talks about John the Baptist and how there is none greater, but in comparison to His new kingdom John being a part of the old covenant does not even compare.  Space does not allow me to go into detail on this one, but just know that’s good news for you.  When you choose to follow Jesus you are a part of His new kingdom. 

The two verses that really jumped out to me today are 34 and 35.  The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, “Look at him!  A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!”  Yet wisdom is justified by all her children.  The other night I went out with some friends here on the Cape to a place called The Brazilian Grille.  If you’re a lover of meat it’s a little bit like heaven.  You get a coaster at your table with a green side and a red side, and as long as you keep it green side up waiters will continually come by with skewers of meat; sirloin, ribeye, filet mignon, lamb, chicken, pork, and more.  And if that’s not enough some of these meats come wrapped in bacon or infused with cheese.  You can almost feel your arteries clogging with each new piece of meat.  And let’s just say I didn’t get short changed.  If I ate every meal like that I think it would most definitely be gluttony, but I think it’s okay to fully enjoy a good quality meal every once in a while.  I also had a nice glass of Pinot Noir.  Guess what.  I like to enjoy life and I make no apologies for that.  And one of the main reasons I enjoy life so much is because as a follower of Jesus He’s given me that example.  Jesus was one to eat and drink and enjoy the party.  His first miracle was turning water into wine all so a wedding party could continue.  He was not a drunkard or glutton as they were accusing, but he simply knew how to enjoy life.  And sometimes He would do all this with a bunch of sinners.  Imagine that!  In some of our Christian circles we can get so uptight about silly legalistic things.  We also get too caught up in our own holy huddles and forget there are plenty of fellow sinners out there who need to get in on the good news of Jesus Christ.  Jesus wasn’t about any of that self righteous silliness.  He didn’t come for the self-righteous, He came for the sick and for those who know their need of a Savior; kind of like the sinful woman at the end of our reading today. 

Prayer
Lord make me acutely aware of my sin and depravity and need for you my Savior, and in turn let my life be a celebration of your grace.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment