Thursday, February 14, 2013

Don't Hesitate... Rededicate!


Luke 1:57-80
Yesterday we had Mary’s Magnificat and today we get Zechariah’s prophecy.  Great stuff!  I was particularly taken with the last few verses (76-79).  As we know, John the Baptist will go before the Lord Jesus to prepare the way.  He does so to give knowledge of salvation and forgiveness of sins.  For those of us who have grown up in the church I wonder if words like salvation, and phrases like “forgiveness of sins” become so common place that they almost lose their value.  Do we sometimes take for granted that we were once in darkness and in the shadow of death?  I’m afraid in an honest moment I’d have to say I probably have.  Zechariah’s words have caused me to ponder my salvation once again, and to be thankful that my feet have been shown the way of peace.  If you are feeling the same, I want to encourage you to take a moment to rededicate your life to Christ.  There’s another familiar phrase in Christian circles; rededicating our lives to Christ.  It’s especially familiar if you’ve spent any time in youth ministry.  In my years as a Youth Pastor I would have some teenagers who would do so multiple times.  That’s okay though, because it’s all a process in learning what it means to be a follower of Jesus.  I’m still learning that myself, which is why I rededicate my life to Christ on a regular basis.  I don’t do it publicly in some sort of evangelistic service.  It’s usually a private thing during my morning devotions.  Don’t get me wrong, I know my salvation is secure, but sometimes I just like to let God know that He’s got all of me;  especially when I’ve been slipping up in a particular area. 

Prayer
Tender and merciful God, I thank you for your love and grace for me a sinner.  I thank you for giving me Your Son Jesus who is like a sunrise who visits from on high.  Because of your love for me I dedicate my life to you today, tomorrow, for this Lent season, and for the rest of my days.  Amen.

Lent Update
Did you get ashes yesterday?  As someone who grew up protestant, this tradition of having ashes put on ones forehead has always fascinated me.  I didn’t do it, but perhaps one of these years I will.  I think it’s good to be reminded of any Biblical premise, and Ash Wednesday reminds us that we’ve come from ashes and to ashes our bodies will return.  There’s nothing terribly special about our bodies, and judging from a couple recent days of shoveling snow, mine’s getting older and sorer with each passing year.  It reminds me to be thankful that my soul will live on with a glorified body in God’s kingdom.  Let the ashes come!  

No comments:

Post a Comment