Tuesday, April 30, 2013

One Pastor's Mixed and Muddled up View on Homosexuality


I must be crazy.  Why in the world would a pastor come out and take a position on homosexuality in today’s day and age?  It would be a lot easier for me to keep my mouth shut and avoid offending someone, because I can guarantee you regardless of which side I fall on someone will end up being offended.  The recent news of long time N.B.A. player Jason Collins coming out is the impetus to this blog entry.  I’m a sports fan and I’ve always known it was just a matter of time before some active player in a major professional sport comes out.  From my own perspective I think the overall response has been encouraging, with the exception of a couple Christian callers to sports radio this morning whose hearts were in the right place but were having a hard time communicating the message.

So what’s my message?  What does Pastor Pete have to say about all of this?  Are you ready?  Here I go…….  I just don’t know.  How’s that for taking a stand?  When I say I just don’t know I’m referring to the whole “is homosexuality a sin” argument.  I know some of you are immediately thinking this guy is a pastor and he doesn’t even know?!?  Doesn’t he read his bible?  Of course I read my bible and I do so faithfully, and I am aware of the 6 or so passages that refer to homosexuality being a sin.  And if that’s the stance you take based on those passages I have absolutely no problem with that.  Let’s face it; they do seem to be pretty clear.  I might also add that I believe the entire bible to be God’s word and I’m not in the habit of picking and choosing what I want to believe and leaving the rest behind.  But can we all just be brutally honest for a moment and acknowledge that sometimes understanding and interpreting the scriptures can be a difficult thing.  For instance, during the Civil War both sides were claiming they had God and the bible on their side.  And who doesn’t struggle sometimes with the brutality of how God had the Israelites wipe out the Canaanites and others as they moved into the Promised Land?  I could go on, but the point is it’s not always as easy as it might seem to understand and interpret God’s word and how it should be applied.

So what about those verses that refer to homosexuality as a sin?  It’s my understanding that those who approve of homosexuality make both cultural and interpretation arguments.  They would argue that these passages are primarily referring to sexual abuse of men on boys (which was indeed a cultural concern in that day) and not a monogamous relationship between two same sex adults.  I’ve been introduced to these arguments but I would like to read up a little more on them.  So far they seem to me to be a little weak.  I will say though that I am open to cultural arguments as to what constitutes sinful behavior in scripture, and before you tell me I shouldn’t be, you better make sure all the women in your church are not wearing gold, pearls, expensive clothes, or braids in their hair this Sunday if you want to be consistent (1st Timothy 2:9).  The question is does a cultural argument work for the issue of homosexuality, and finding out is a journey I’m still on.

Here’s what I do know; assuming it is a sin, it certainly isn’t an unforgivable one.  Here is what I mean.  I’m thinking of two of my Christian friends; one would say he was gay and is now happily married to a woman, and the other who would say he is gay and believes that’s okay so long as he’s applying the Bible’s teachings on sexual immorality just like a heterosexual person would; as in only sex within the bounds of marriage (or the gay equivalent) no adultery, etc.  I’m okay with and I love both of them.  I don’t condemn the former for his past and I don’t condemn the latter for his present; and I believe Jesus doesn’t either.  I’m reminded of the well-known story of Jesus and the woman caught in adultery (John 8).  After all those who were about to stone her left having realized their own sins Jesus asks her, “Woman, where are they?  Has no one condemned you?”  And she responds “No one sir.”  And Jesus says “Then neither do I condemn you, go now and leave your life of sin.”  When I think about my two friends, along with Jesus I don’t condemn them.  It’s also my desire that they would heed the words of Jesus and not live a life of sin.  It’s my opinion that they are both doing their best to follow those words of Jesus.  Should my second friend at some point get involved with another man and pursue the equivalent of a monogamous married relationship with him I still won’t condemn him.  It’s just not my place.  I’m thankful to say I’ve never had to deal with the confusion he did, growing up in Christian evangelical circles and having homosexual desires.  Like many in his position he has suffered a good deal of pain and rejection from the Christian community, and I just don’t see how that is Christ-like. He’s a good God fearing Christian man and I’ll let him continue to grapple with God and the Holy Spirit over his orientation. 

Here’s another thing I’m sure of.  Any homosexual man or woman is more than welcome to worship at my church and to be a part of our church community.  Whether homosexuality is a sin or not, we’re all sinners in need of God’s grace and His saving relationship through Jesus Christ, and Jesus came not to condemn the world but to save it (John 3:17).  I want my church to be a place that pursues God’s truth as best we can and to do so with lots of love and grace.  I alluded to it in the beginning, and I’m sure I’ve offended some of you by now.  These views may be too wishy-washy and muddled for some of you, but it’s where God has brought me, and I hope you can at least appreciate my open and honest expression on a very controversial topic in the church.  If you should desire to respond, please do so in love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment